Physiotherapy is a regulated profession in Belgium with the professional title “Kinesitherapeut(e)”. The title and the professional activity are protected by the law. National legislation is found in “Article 21 bis of the Royal Decree number 78 about the professional practice of health care” (47).
Physiotherapists are regulated therapists working on prescription of a physician. In Belgium many physiotherapists practise osteopathy or chiropractic, but also other “non-recognized” CAM therapies (45). The rules of professional conduct (code of ethics) are determined directly by the Ministry of Public Health through national legislation. Belgium requires a registration to practise by the Ministry of Public Health, which is the national authority responsible for the physiotherapy profession in Belgium (51).
Physiotherapy is registered in the EU regulated professions database as follows:
Physiotherapy is a directly related regulated profession with title “kinésithérapeute/ kinesitherapeut” recognized under Directive 2005/36/EC (5), ID 160. General system of recognition: PS3 – Diploma of post-secondary level (3-4 years), Art. 11 d.
National legislation: Article 21bis del’arrêté royal n° 78 relatif à l’exercice des professions des soins de santé / Artikel 21bis van het koninklijk besluit nr. 78 betreffende de uitoefening van de gezondheidsberoepen (7).
5. DIRECTIVE 2005/36/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 7 September 2005 on the recognition of professional qualifications (Text with EEA relevance) (OJ L 255, 30.9.2005, p. 22) Amended up to March 2011, (2005).
7. The European Commission. Regulated professions database. Brussels: EUROPA; 2011 [cited 2012 February 10, ]; Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/qualifications/regprof/index.cfm?fuseaction=regProf.index.
45. Marnix Schaubroek Belgian IVAA-Representative. Email: CAM legislation in Belgium. 2012.
47. Fossion JP. Email: Some questions about Belgium. 2010
51. Axxon PTiB. Physiotherapy in Belgium. The World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) 2012 [cited 2012 March 29]; Available from: http://www.physioeurope.org/index.php?action=15&subaction=details&member=6.
Useful webpage: http://www.juridat.be/cgi_loi/loi_F.pl?cn=1967111008.